SINGAPORE’S Changi Airport has been voted the world’s best airport for the seventh year in a row, the longest running winning streak since the annual awards kicked off in 1999.
It was also the repeat winner of the award for the Best Airport Leisure Amenities and its airport hotel Crowne Plaza bagged world’s best airport hotel.
The sprawling Changi Airport has much to humble brag about as it is one of those enthusiastically pursuing extensive automation.
Its newly opened Terminal 4 (T4), for example, was built to test airport bots for its upcoming Terminal 5 (T5), which is set to be one of the largest and most automated passenger terminals in the world.
At T4, travelers enjoy start-to-end automation, from do-it-yourself checking in to baggage tagging, and aircraft boarding – a first for Changi Airport. To ensure travelers move from the first to the last step, it uses facial recognition – also a first for Changi Airport.
To add on, it is about to open a mixed-use development called Jewel, a massive 10-story complex which will connect three of the airport’s current four terminals and have seven stories of retail and food offerings.
This spectacular Moshe Safdie-designed architectural marvel will also house the world’s largest indoor waterfall, the 40-meter high cascading Rain Vortex, a 130-room YOTEL airport hotel, an integrated multi-modal transport lounge, and a retail mall with 300 tenants.
Aside from Changi Airport, five other airports in Asia-Pacific have come out on top in the annual rankings as well: Japan’s Haneda Airport in Tokyo, South Korea’s Incheon Airport in Seoul, Hong Kong Airport, Japan’s Chubu Centrair Airport in Nagoya, and Japan’s Narita Airport in Tokyo.
Other major hubs which made it to the top 25 include Japan’s Kansai Airport in Osaka, Taiwan’s Taoyuan Airport, China’s Hongquiao/Pudong Airport in Shanghai, and Australia’s Melbourne (Tullamarine) Airport in Victoria.
Some special mentions went to the following airports:
- World’s best baggage delivery: Kansai Airport in Osaka, Japan.
- World’s best low-cost terminal: Kansai Airport Terminal 2 (T2) in Osaka, Japan.
- World’s best airport dining experience: Hong Kong Airport in Hong Kong.
- World’s most improved: Guangzhou Baiyin Airport in Guangzhou, China.
- World’s cleanest: Haneda Airport in Tokyo, Japan.
- World’s best domestic airport: Haneda Airport in Tokyo, Japan.
- World’s best PRM / accessible facilities: Haneda Airport in Tokyo, Japan.
- World’s best airport immigration service: Hong Kong Airport in Hong Kong.
- World’s best transit airport: Incheon Airport in Seoul, South Korea.
- World’s best airport staff: Narita Airport in Tokyo, Japan.