The government will build a museum dedicated to the royal cremation of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej on Klong 5 in Pathum Thani's Klong Luang district.
The museum will be run by the Fine Arts Department. The investment is estimated at 864 million baht.
According to the department director-general Prateep Phengtako, the museum will be located on a 200 rai plot of land, which also houses the Supreme Artist Hall, the King Rama IX Archive, and the national museum warehouse of the department.
The plan to build the museum was postponed from last year but the blueprint has now been completed. The structure will be a two-storey building and will look like the royal crematorium known as Songtham Pavilion.
It will have a 7,200m² space and will consist of five major zones to exhibit every angle of the royal cremation. It includes the Hindu-Buddhist ideology, which tells a story about the divine kingship, the process of the construction of the royal crematorium, and the royal funeral chariots used in the cremation ceremony.
Models of the royal crematoriums from the Ayutthaya to the Rattanakosin period will also be displayed. There will also be the royal urn, which is known as phra kot chan, and the royal coffin or phra heep chan, and 132 sculptures used to decorate the royal crematorium such as Shiva, Indra, Brahman, Narayana and mythical creatures like garuda, naga and sangha.
Construction will take about two years and the museum is expected to open in 2022.
Europ Assistance has opened an office in Bangkok. Founded in 1963, the company is the travel insurer of the Generali Group, one of the world's leading insurers, headquartered in Italy.
Europ Assistance provides roadside assistance, travel assistance, insurance, and personal-assistance services such as home assistance, the protection of digital identity, senior care, concierge services and health coverage.
It plans to offer a full suite of services by working with local airlines, travel agents, insurance providers and banks.
– Bangkok Airways has joined hands with its sister company Bangkok Travel Club to launch travel packages in Thailand and abroad.
The programme includes "The Miracle Indochina" tour programme for 11 destinations such as Mandalay and Sukhothai. The tour prices start at 28,900 baht per person for overseas destinations and 20,000 baht for domestic destinations.
Another programme is "Fly Boutique – Stay Unique In The Kingdom". It offers a round-trip air ticket, two nights' accommodation and airport transfers.
HOTEL DEALS & UPDATE
– The Sukosol Hotel has launched a Chinese New Year Package.
Available until the end of February, the promotion is offered to guests who book at least two nights. They will receive a daily buffet breakfast, complimentary Chinese set-menu dinner for two at Lin-Fa Chinese Restaurant, a snack set at Pool Side or Sapphire Bar, coffee/drinks at Chao Cafe, 30% discount on any spa treatments, and late check-out at 3pm.
– Cape & Kantary Hotels has introduced "Weekend Special" promotions for all of its hotels until Dec 20. Rates start from 1,600 baht net per room per night and will be applicable from Fridays until Sundays.
– InterContinental Hua Hin Resort has launched "Stay 3 Pay 2" promotion.
It is available for guests who book for luxurious Club InterContinental suites or villas. Package includes breakfast for two, unlimited access to Vana Nava Waterpark and True Arena Hua Hin, a sports complex.
The package is valid only for direct booking and subject to availability.
– Accor has announced the global elimination of single-use plastics by 2022.
At present, about 94% of Accor's hotels have eliminated the use of straws, cotton buds and coffee stirrers. The remaining 6% (mostly in China) will do it by the end of March 2020.
In addition, the group will remove plastic toiletry amenities and cups by the end of 2020. They also plan to stop the availability of single-use plastic items in guestrooms, like plastic bags for laundry or extra pillows and plastic water bottles provided in meeting areas, restaurants and all leisure-activities areas like spas and fitness centres, by the end of 2022.
Accor owns 39 brands including Banyan Tree, Novotel and Ibis. It operates 4,900 hotels in 110 countries.
Email [email protected] if you have any comments to share.